Thursday, June 22, 2006

I loved it so much, I am going to do it again!`

Speed bumps? Minor Delay? Trial and Error? As Brian's wife put it, gigantic chunks that the landfill won't take. But hey, I might just have the nicest work tops in my basement shop ever.

The issues are many, with none of them = the major problem.

1st. Too thin. - By making the forms using just a circular saw my forms are a little off. A little off can equal wobbles.

2nd Glass too big - All of the Glass that we used came from round bottles. Round bottles don't have a true flat surface. By using chunks that were too large, I created divits and wholes when I started my polishing. I can't get a true flat and smooth surface due to this. Yes Bill was in charge of the glass but I was the final say in it. I never even thought about this until I worked my first slab. Lesson learned.

3rd- Too much glass- The glass is really cool, but there is just too much in there. it might look better with the same amount, just smaller pieces. We will see.

4th - Wrong diamond pads- I started this project using a pad system that a local builder recommended. He was wrong with his choice. I burned a couple of the first pads up yesterday. I contacted Granquartz right after I did that and they had me some better diamonds here @ 9am this morning. I fired them up this afternoon and they are really agressive and get me to the stone in the concrete quick. I will have to be careful and quick, but it will look nice.

So I am now ready for another long Saturday of mixing and vibrating. I went to the Depot this afternoon and bought all new melomene. Took it over to Brians house to use his table saw to get true cuts, smooth cuts, accurate cuts. I will build those up tomorrow in prep. for Saturday.

Nice thing....I am not out much. I have all the glass still, and with a little bit more crushing, it will be down to a size that will be usable. Lesson learned. Just too bad for Bill and myself that we worked so damn hard on them last week.


Fresh out of the form


No comments: