Tuesday, April 10, 2007

I love me some insulation!


And some closets too! One thing about this big ol cave is that the closets were pretty small. Well the downstairs closets anyway. We haven't really spent much time upstairs, well until the day after turkey day when we decided to remodel it all. So we went and made three more closets. 12ft long, 9 foot long and then one really funky shaped one that might just hold all of our kayaking and backpacking gear. Probably just the kayaking gear, but we will see.



So what have we been doing? Well I have spent the last couple of weekends insulating the closets and attic space of this joint! I did pink stuff for my closets, but we blew in the cellulose stuff for the attic. I have to say that blow-in stuff was a breeze. I was able to blow in 17 bags of that stuff in just 1.5 hours. And does it work? Well last night the temp was 60 when I went to bed and 58 when I woke up. Only 2 degrees drop over night...with no heat on and the downstairs door closed. Oh yeah it was 25 outside last night. Yeah for insulation!


Nothing much is happening here for a little bit. I will keep everyone posted.......:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, how hard was the blow-in insulation? Can it be done with two people? We are considering renting a machine and doing it, but no idea what to expect.

donutboy said...

I have to say that it was not hard at all. I had a helper outside feeding the hopper with the blocks of insulation. They had on a nice dust mask.

I was in the attic blowing the insulation. We had a set plan to stop after each block of insulation. That helped me a ton to know that the end was coming. It also helped for me to have a nice flashlight up there. I was able to shine that through the dust to see how I was doing. I wore the same mask that I wore during the demolition and drywall work. One of those paper masks just won't cut it.