Sunday, October 15, 2006

I hate / love that gigantic oak tree.

It's a love hate relationship, me and the oak. Sure it was around here long before me and has some sort of "squatters" rights, but that is just crap. Hell that thing was probably a seedling back when Jimmy Carter was born, it's just gigantic. I love that tree during the summer, as it shades our house from the southern sun. Protecting us from the rays of heat that would warm our stone house and create an oven. I love that. I love the massive branches that allow for Maxwell to set up a swing and hang from it. I love the squirrels that live up in it that taunt my dog. It gives and give during the summer. And come fall.....IT'S WAR!


Soon it will begin its air-raid. Dropping acorns from 20-30-50-100 feet. Falling to the ground with some sting. Making the yard appear as if an acorn truck decided to dump its load. It will slowly fill up the gutters with tops and bottoms. And then the leaves. The leaves aren't huge, but from my calculations ( a true hillbilly guess) will total about 4.3 million come years end that will make home in my gutters, on my back porch, and all in our newly seeded yard. And there isn't much I can do about that. ......OR IS THERE?


Today while at church, yes I have started going back to church....(LOWE'S) I found some gutter filter guards that look like they might do the trick. They slide up under the first row of shingles and snap onto the gutter. In theory the leaves and acorns should roll off. That is in theory, who really knows how they will stand up to the beating that this tree will unleash in a few weeks.








The Grass in the yard is doing really well. Thanks to the rain every now and again, a small sprinkler, things are turning green. We honestly were not sure how to do it, but how hard could grass be? Kyle across the street seems to think that we have done a great job, and he is a pro when it comes to gardening.

2 comments:

nick said...

Dude, when you were out here you said you wanted a big tree, so you'd come hang out under mine and steal my Internet. What gives?

Anonymous said...

Showed Maxwell--he wants to know where his swing is or he's not coming for Thanksgiving!