Friday, December 08, 2006

Materials used to build this house.

It's always fun to work on old houses, it's never "the usual" renovation. There just always seems to be something waiting under or behind what you are working on that will suprise you. 10% good, 90% are like "what in the bleepity bleep were they thinking back in 19#$ when they built this place?"

For instance the drywall that was used in my house came in 2ft by 3ft sheets. It either came like that or the person had a really small car and had to cut the 4x8 sheets down to a better size for his VW or whatever small car existed in 1940 when this house was built. (Yes, I know that the bug was not out in 1940 but you get my point right?)

Nails. I know that there is a current crunch out there in the world in regards to metals available for building materials. Steel is at a premium. I think that I might be able to solve the crunch here in the Raleigh market if I were to start a smelter in my back yard under that gigantic oak. The nails that were used for this place are more like tent stakes used to hold down a circus tent. We ran into them first while working on the kitchen. The second nail we didn't come across while working in the kitchen, square nails. These bad boys were used for the tongue and groove flooring that was under the old school lenoleum. What fun these are.

So tomorrow I will either finish with ripping up the subfloor or I will be starting a new blog that details my new homemade smelting operation that will solve the local steel crunch.

4 comments:

Raj Bala said...

That's such a good photograph.

Anonymous said...

nice work but so not to the point

Anonymous said...

um not what i needed to know about or research but interesting

Anonymous said...

not what i wanted to find out